Saturday 8 June 2013

Crouched and ready to go

Burnham on Crouch, that is.

On Wednesday, Vagabond waved goodbye to the harbourmaster and the cows at Kings Ash Farm and, on the trailer and under tow, was taken back to the sea at Burnham on Crouch. The journey round the M25 was without incident, although the NE F4 wind made it a little slower than usual, so we were a little late in arriving at the Burnham Marina. 

Lift


 I was directed to park under the watchful eyes of the residents of the Balcony Bar, who raised an ironic cheer when I eventually raised the mast. Then (having taken the easy way out) up came the boat lift to pick up Vagabond and drop her (gently, I hoped) into the sea.









and drop

Then off to berth B2, where I realised that I had reeved hauling line for the lazy jacks   incorrectly.

The step ladder was retrieved from the car and sited on the cockpit roof. (Don't so this at sea, children). Then, with the boat hook at full stretch, I caught the offending line and led it through the right bits and pieces.

Whilst aloft on the step ladder I discovered how dirty the decks were. The stains from the coffee that I had spilt in the cockpit whilst at Rutland were very pronounced, as was the accumulated grime from the winter in the barn.

As the Purser drily observed, I am not normally the polishing type, but even so, I thought that something must be done.

So I washed the decks and polished bits of the hull before checking that the instruments worked in their new configuration and generally fidddling about for the rest of the day, before returning to the Owners Agent the next morning. Then off to meet with the Purser and the skipper to discuss the first steps. Sailing date looks like being 19th June. I bet the northerly is still blowing.


No comments:

Post a Comment