Wednesday 19 June 2013

Technology and supermarkets = pictures

Isn't it amazing what you can buy in a supermarket these days. Having conditioned you all, my faithfull readers (I know there's at ;east two - see the next edition) I discovered in my current local supermarket a gizmo that enables me to plug my camera memory chip straight into Magrat (the rather venerable PC that accompanies Vagabond and I on these trips and named after a character in one of the Pratchet discworlds).

So here is a selection of the photos taken on the leg from Burnham to Harwich.



The revised instrument layout that should stop Vagabond filling with water if a wave decided to join me in the cockpit
Good bye to Burnham
Collision Course?Missed!
The downwind leg


After all this excitment, Vagabond and I stayed in Harwich for two nights. The mast came down, the radio aerial was refitted and a dry joint discovered in the antenna socket on the deck. It's handy carrying a soldering iron with you. I walked around the remains of HMS Ganges and wondered when the mast would fall down. There are acres of land and derilict buildings where the former RN training school stood.

Across the river at Felixstow, the nations trade deficiet was unloaded from these tower blocks of container ships (well, the ships look like skiffs, with tower blocks on top of them). Just think, if each container was converted into living accomodation (about the size of a post war prefab), the nations housing shortage would be solved at a stroke. I must remember to write to someone about it.

I then sat down to some serious nav stuff to work out the best time to leave Hawich the following day. Heaven forefend, it's 05:30 and the wind is "on the nose". Freddie will have his work cut out.

I am writing this from the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk yacht club bar, so you know we got here all right. I've just planned the journey to Wells Next The Sea for tomorrow - another 05:30 start so I'll have to tell you the gripping story of how we got here in the next edition of this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment