Wednesday 29 May 2013

Coffee and sail trim

At last, I have a picture of Vagabond under sail.  It was taken at Rutland Water, at the beginning of May and shows the Pursur at the helm with me grinning inanely. OK, there's a bit of string (technical term) hanging out of the hawse hole in the bow.

But she looks pretty.
Under way on Rutland Water

At a local coffee house the other day, I proudly showed it to "the skipper".
He pulled a face.
 
'What's wrong with the rig?', I asked as I recognised the look.

'It's the jib', he replied, 'It shouldn't crease like that, there's something wrong with the way it's set up."

We then had technical discussion about the sail. The skipper phoned the admiral for confirmation.
 
'The sail is too tight on the wire that runs up the leading edge", he said.
 
(Well, not exactly as he used a lot of jargon terms for the wire and the parts of the sail which I can't remember as I'm afraid that stuff tends to pass in one ear and out of the other but I at least retain the gist of what was said).
 
'You should be able to loosen the top of the sail and slacken it off on the wire' he said.
 
Work in progress........

No comments:

Post a Comment