Wednesday 25 June 2014

GPS in a sulk

After our arrival at Balvicar on Saturday, I spent Sunday cleaning the cabin, repairing the brake cables on the trailer* and debating with myself as to whether I should replace the wheel bearings whilst I was at it. Sloth won out, so we are now jouneying south on the original bearings.**
 (I also did a bit of plumbing in the cottage - but that's another story).

On Monday, Mike and Graham, the helpful father and son who own and run the Balvicar boatyard, hauled her out of the water, postioning her with millimetric precision on the trailer; the water ballast drained away. The mast came down, Doris was deflated, halliards unreeved, various ropes and stays tied down and we were ready for the journey. 

Off on Tuesday morning.

Then the trailer light board fell off and dragged along the road. It took some time for this to be discovered......

Eventually to Pitlochry, for dinner with the Scottish herbalist, a discussion on the outcome of the forthcoming referendum and various other seemingly more important issues. Vagabond spent the night in the company of a number of spare caravans owned by the local caravan park.

Then, after a good nights sleep, home for me and to the barn in Buckinghamshire for Vagabond, in two  stages.

This evening, after dining in an hotel, I thought I'd turn on the Garmin GPS and down load the track of the voyage, so I can publish more intimate details of our progress in future editions of this blog.....

I discovered that the device has gone into  a sulk. It tells me it needs to have it's software reloaded, yet resoutely will not connect to a PC. It's now rated "unsupported" by it's manufacturer and I bought it just three years ago***.

Does it know it's work is done, or is this some terrible example of built in obsolescence by the manufacturer?


Footnotes 

* I think I had forgotten to mention on this blog that both cables had failed whilst the trailer was parked during the winter
** fingers crossed, wood touched and salt thrown over left shoulder etc
***well, it was a bargain at the time!

2 comments:

  1. What is it about trailer lighting boards? I have to get a new one every year. Whatever I do they seem to fall off, and as you say, I don't notice until someone overtakes me, flashing their lights and pointing backwards. I always know what the problem is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trailer boards do seem to be a bit simplistic. I've now driiled a hole through the board at each end and tie it on

    ReplyDelete