Sunday 10 June 2012

Off again

The boatbuilder handed Vagabond back to me last Thursday, at one of those incredibly busy motorway services. He misheviously suggested that I should take her to Grimsby and claim a radio blackout....For a moment I was tempted but I took her back to the water at Eastbourne. Then home for the night to return the car and trailer (and miss some awful weather).
The news at home is that we have accepted an offer on our house, so the owners agent is desperately looking for somewhere for us to live.....this downsizing is all very well but does add to the stress of everyday life. Back to Eastbourne on Saturday to complete the rigging of Vagabond and then at 05:30 on a lovely sunny Sunday morning, through the lock and off for Beachy Head and Shoreham by sea.


Light (almost non existant) breeze from the south. Flat calm.
Motor sailed to Beachy Head. Right through the tide rips - not too bad, just a few large waves - after all the ebb was just setting.
The wind picked up once past the headland. From the East. The water was confused, a bit like the "down tide" side of Dungeness the other week.

Off went the motor, the jib was unrolled and we were off. I found that I could get the jib into a stable goosewing out to port with the main about half out  to starboard. It was as if the overspill from the main was filling and suporting the jib. With the tiller lashed, I could steer by shifting my (not inconsiderable) weight! The wind slowly increased and we flew along at over six and a half knots (some of this from the tide, admittedly).



By half eleven, I was tied up in Shoreham lock, eating my sandwhiches whilst waiting for the tide to rise so that I could enter rather industrial harbour. 26 miles on the clock in about 6 hours. I was quite pleased with our efforts


I went for a walk and locked myself out. A borrowed hacksaw resolved that and I was able to buy a new lock from the marina manager!

Then it started to rain and stayed like that all afternoon.  The Owners Agent has not found us somewhere to live - but it is Sunday after all.

Next stop is Chichester/Hayling island. Tomorrow? It all depends on the forecast. I just hope it stops raining!

Only another couple of thousand miles to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment