Thursday 31 October 2013

Committed to a start date for 2014

My regular reader will recall that I was wondering what to do, now that Vagabond and I have been awarded the Ruby Cup by the GXSA and no doubt were on tenterhooks waiting for my pronouncement.

Here it is: 

Vagabond and I have now registered to join Sail Caledonia for the jaunt (raid?) northwards along the Caledonian Canal next May.

This will be the starting point for a circumnavigation of Scotland in the widdershins* direction.

Sail Caledonia starts in Fort William and finishes at Inverness.

After the final party, my hangover, Vagabond and I will try to find the bit of sea where we abandoned our voyage from Lossiemouth to Inverness****. Having picked up the thread (as it were), we'll turn north up the east side of Scotland to Wick and then, depending on weather, tides and all that sort of stuff, turn West along the "top" of Gt Britain ****** to Cape Wrath. Then south, passing all those wonderful places like Lochinver, Ullapool, Gareloch and Loch Ewe. Depending on how brave (or foolhardy) I feel at the time (and weather and tides etc) we may visit the inside of the Outer Isles and, eventually, back to Balvicar.

Yes, I know: I'll publish a map of the proposed trip in the next edition.

For those of you really interested, here's a link to the Sail Caledonia web site :
http://www.sailcaledonia.org/



* anticlockwise **
** turning left every day ***
*** unless anchored near (not on) **** an island, when it might mean turning right......
**** or tied up to
*****  Remember to turn right out of Inverness, it's up an estuary
****** or the bottom, if you have a Southern Hemisphere map with South "up".

No comments:

Post a Comment