Thursday 29 March 2012

Launch Date! 17th April!

Swallow boats told me this week that Vagabond is almost completed and she should be available for collection immeditately after Easter. Help!
So, yesterday, the Owners Agent and I ventured into Eastern Essex. Off the end of the dual carriageways (divided highways to any US reader), down a narrow lane to the upper tidal reaches of the River Crouch. Suddenly a forest of masts and a herd of boat hulls on legs emerged from the behind the trees. We had found the North Fambridge Yacht Haven ( http://www.yachthavens.com/fambridge/), where I thought there was a slipway that might be a suitable launching site for Vagabond.

The sun shone, the tide was out and the slipway ended in glutinous, glistening mud. A short distance from the end of the slip was a set of floating pontoons. 'Excellent' I thought 'I can launch Vagabond at high tide and she can spend her first night or so in salt water alongside the pontoon'. Leaving the Owners Agent sitting in the sun, sipping a cup of coffee (it was only 11 o'clock), I hastened to find the harbour master and found myself in a line of supplicants. Once I got to meet him, we  quickly agreed the date and booked the slip, the tractor and the pontoon berth. High water on the 17th is at 11:10.  So the launch will take place at about midday!

The Owners Agent and I repaired to the Anchor in Burnham on Crouch for lunch and she agreed that, when the sun shone and the wind didn't blow, the sea side was quite a lovely place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment